Becoming an IQ4News Contributor
Thank you for your interest to become an IQ4News Contributor. At IQ4News we aim to provide a collaborative platform for news on Africa and offer a variety of contributor opportunities.
There are therefore five different categories under which you can become a contributor:
- Citizen Journalist (No experience required);
- Blogger (must have an active blog);
- Journalism Student (studying a journalism related subject)
- Field Expert (Minimum of 2 years experience in a field, e.g. stock exchange, that allows you to write as an expert in that field)
- Professional Journalist (practicing journalist)*
*Professional Journalists - Where there is breaking news or major news in your area, you will be considered for paid reports on this news.
Contributors are also welcome to contribute the following types of content:
- Editorial Cartoons;
While contributors are not paid for their work, you will be credited for everything you submit, and you are free to place a link to your personal blog/website at the bottom of your contributed item. You also retain copyright of your work.
How do I register?
There are two options on how to register your interest to be an IQ4News Contributor:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- - Your name (as registered on IQ4News)
- - The kind of content you would like to contribute to IQ4News
- - The kind of contributor status you want to have on IQ4News
- - Sample(s) of your work (professional journalists only)
Please register a user account BEFORE sending the email. This will allow us to easily update your profile.
Alternatively, you can fill our online form.
What happens next?
If your application is successful we will send you a confirmation email and a few documents via email which include a contributors' agreement and instructions on how to submit content.
The first time you login using your contributor profile, you will be required to ‘accept’ or ‘reject’ the contributors agreement and other terms and conditions online. This is an automated mechanism.
Once you have done this, you can start contributing to IQ4News at your own pace.
What is the Incentive?
While our contributors are not paid, we do offer the following incentives:
- All contributors retain copyright to the content that they contribute to IQ4News;
- Contributors can provide a link back to their website/blog at the bottom of every content they contribute.
For more information, please visit our FAQ page.
There are currently no paid vacancies, but you are welcome to submit your CV and cover letter, with samples of your work and your rates per article/video/podcast/project, for freelance work.
We are always looking for freelance journalists based in Africa who can produce commissioned work.
We also welcome coverage proposals on relevant issues. To submit a proposal please send us your idea with as much details as possible, your CV and cover letter, your rate for the project, and a copy or link to samples of two past work.
All enquiries are to be sent to: email@example.com
IQ4News operates an equal opportunity policy and therefore welcomes applications from qualified correspondents regardless of age, gender, race, creed, marital or civil partnership status, ethnic origin, disability, and any other conditions or requirements which are irrelevant to the job description. We particularly welcome applications from groups who are presently under-represented in the media industry in African countries.