What is IQ4News?
There are two facets to the IQ4News Brand: The Website, and The Services:
1. The Website
IQ4News is an online journalism organisation that produces news and analysis on Africa across 12 subject areas which include Business, Politics, Development, Arts & Entertainment, Technology, Sports, Media, Health & Medicine, Environment, Education, Opinion, and, Only in Africa.
Alongside our in-house journalists, we also work with five categories of contributors:
- Professional Journalists
- Citizen Journalists
- Field Experts
- Journalism Students
Our content type include the following:
- Audio Reports
- Editorial Cartoons
If you would like to contribute to IQ4News, please click here for more information.
IQ4News is a website that was established as a media blog in 2007. It was later developed as a personal website, and on 1 March 2009, with minimal investment, it was re-branded as a news and opinion website dedicated to African issues. The website grew considerably within three months, receiving traffic from over 161 countries; 39 of which are African countries.
The success of the website established on a small scale, portrayed a market not just for websites dedicated to African related issues, but a desire for a more personal experience in news. The contributors are a part of what they report, and the user community can relate to their stories.
Following a major re-branding strategy and marketing investment, IQ4News was re-launched in January 2011 with a tagline of “Ubuntu through New Media”.
Our philosophy, “Ubuntu through New Media”, refers to the creative combination of ‘Ubuntu’ - the African philosophy promoting community - with the new information age, to create a collaborative platform.
The vision for IQ4News is to create an online culture of collaborative communities that brings Africa’s largest network of media producers, citizen journalists, bloggers and creative minds to the World. This will provide an emerging African digital public sphere a platform to speak the voice of Africa.
For globally connected professionals who are interested in African current affairs, we deliver hyper-local social news that is created by certified individuals who are an integral part of what they report. Unlike other online African news organisations, which specialise in the delivery of politically slanted, country-specific or generic African news, IQ4News provides a fresh approach to news production that is participatory, collaborative and delivered with substance.
The ethos behind IQ4News is to build a community, informing and interacting with that community and allowing them to direct the agenda, and immerse themselves within that agenda as and how they choose to.
As part of our corporate social responsibility, we want to give back to the community. Our Charity of the Month campaigns, help to raise awareness of small and medium size charities and NGOs that are either based in Africa, or target Africans. We provide such charities with free advertising space in our COTM box, as well as free advertorials and video space.
We recognise that such organisations do not always have access to adequate funds to cater for their remit. Through this mechanism, we hope to do our part in helping them not only raise awareness but also to raise funds towards there cause.
For more information about how to get involved, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
If you want to contribute to IQ4News, you should consider which section of the websites you would most like to contribute to. You can apply to be a contributor online.
There are five types of contributors on IQ4News
- Citizen Journalists;
- Journalism Students;
- Field Expert; and,
- Professional Journalists.
Already a contributor
Note: You must have a contributor status to access these files.
Who can contribute to IQ4News?
There are five categories of contributors:
- Citizen Journalist: Those in this category do not need to have any prior media experience, but do need to be a part of what they are reporting e.g. if they are reporting about a village in Sudan, they need to be a part of that community.
- Blogger: Those in this category need a minimum of 1 month blogging experience.
- Journalism Student: Students studying any journalism related subject in any institution can register under this category
- Field Expert: To be a part of this category, a contributor will have had a least 5 years experience in their field. For example, you may have 5 years experience in Marketing and would like to write about that industry.
- Professional Journalist: This category is for practicing journalists only.
What can I contribute?
At the application stage all our contributors choose the kind of content they would like to contribute. These could be articles, video/audio reports, cartoons or photo-journalism content. It could also be a combination of any of these.
Contributors also choose the subject area they would like to contribute to. This is usually an area of interest or experience for the contributor. Generally you can contribute anything you consider newsworthy. It could be an eyewitness account, an editorial piece, a feature piece etc. about current issues and events.
The only requirements are that all our contributors apply by ALL our rules particularly our Copyright Notice.
How do I contribute content?
All prospective contributors must apply to be a contributor in one of our five categores. Once approved, you can start to contribute to IQ4News.
How can I give feedback to IQ4News?
Under the About Us tab at the very top right corner of the website, you will see a link to ‘Feedback’. Simply fill the appropriate form and submit.
- Click here to subscribe to the IQ4News Newsletter
Advertising & Sponsorship
- Click here for more information about Advertising & Sponsorship opportunities at IQ4News
2. The Services
- Newsletter design and management
- Press release writing, rewrites and management
- Social media management
- Industry and market news
- Content for your online, print and audio-visual material
- Advertorial writing services
- Copy editing for articles, corporate print material and more
- Presentations design
Media Research & Consultancy
- Media Research
- Policy Research and Development
- Audiences research,
- Social media strategy,
- Web strategy,
- Media company development and (re)structuring,
- Marketing and communication strategy
- Research Methods for Creative Businesses
- Design and development of news websites and apps
- Media Training
- Social media workshop,
- Writing and editorial workshops,
- Video production workshops,
- Media staff development,
- Developing new departments
- Online development
To enquire about any of our services, contact us at email@example.com
Claims of Copyright Infringement
IQ4News respects the intellectual property of others. If you believe that your copyrighted work appears on this site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you may notify us by emailing IQ4News at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- A copy of the infringing work
- A copy of your work (the original or an authorized copy) (include specific identifiers such as its URL or ISBN)
- Copy of the registered version of your work (if different)
- Date of registration
- The IQ4News.com URL where suspect material is located
- Other dated documents
- Developmental work
- The signature (electronic or physical) of the owner of the copyright or the person authorized to act on the owner's behalf
- Your name, address, telephone number, and email address
- A statement by you declaring the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that all of the information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf
Notice of claims of copyright infringement on the Website must be sent to:
IQ4News Legal, 71 Francis Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8SP, UK
By email: email@example.com